Happy Freaking New Year! I can’t even begin to explain how quickly the last six months of 2017 went by. Like, I swear to you it went by in a blink. This is the first time I’m ever going to create actionable goals for the year, as well as the first time I planned to share them. I feel like sharing my goals is a great way to be held accountable. Every year I’ve created some kind of “resolution” and to be honest, they’ve failed every year for my entire life. Mostly because I forget they exist (haha).
2017 was one of the most interesting years of my entire life. For my entire existence on this earth, I’ve been a student. That’s what I was, a student. This year, I graduated University. Woah. That was a big step. Graduating is a pretty crazy feeling and I’m so proud of that super expensive piece of fancy paper on my wall. My business degree is a huge reason why I want to be my own boss. I see the way traditional businesses are run and I just really don’t want to be stuck in a 9-5.
Life is so crazy sometimes and it’s weird to see how things change. This time last year I was planning what I wanted to do after I was done University and decided to go back to school and go to college for a public relations degree. I was going back because I was scared. Scared of real life, scared of the future. It’s crazy because now I’ve never been so excited for the future. I know I can achieve every single thing I set my mind to!
Okay, this has been enough rambling. It’s now time for me to make my 2018 goals known and to hold myself accountable for them and MAKE THINGS HAPPEN.
I “officially” launched my blog in August but seriously don’t feel like I’ve taken it seriously until now. It took me 6 months of kinda just messing around to realize that this could really be something. I can totally make this work and make my life exactly what I want it to be. I know blogging isn’t all about money and numbers but I really want to see my hard work paying off and my words reaching more people.
- Have a month where I hit 100,000 page views ~ honestly, right now I’m only at about 1,000 so this may be far fetched but you know “if you shoot for the moon you’ll land among the stars”. Right? Maybe? Okay. I’m going to be getting the yearly Tailwind subscription in about a month or so to really jump start my traffic and make things happen. If I get anywhere past 50,000 I’ll be super excited but let’s make 100k happen!!!!
- Get email list to 1,000 subscribers ~ Every person who blogs about building their business stresses how important an email list is to make a living online and I totally understand it. I have yet to actually launch any kind of campaign or product that would incentivize someone to subscribe and have gotten 21 subscribers with just a pop-up on the home page. I’d say that’s not too shabby! I’m going to launch a few free printables or other incentives this year, probably one a month in order to gain more subs.
- Get two months ahead on blog posts ~ In December I had a 2 week long trip to Europe planned and was so stressed about not being able to work for two weeks that the stress completely killed my pre-trip productivity. I would really love to be able to take a week off if I need to and not have to worry and the key to this is being a couple months ahead on blog posts! It’ll make me feel so much better about everything. I have an editorial calendar created that’s 3 months ahead of schedule so I can just write and not have to worry about topics! Time to get to work.
- Make an average of $2,000 a month ~ I’m so incredibly thankful that I’m still living with my mom as her kind of live-in nanny for my younger sister. I have barely any expenses and that makes me free to do pretty much whatever I want to get money. To most people 2K isn’t a lot of money but that would be an absolute great place to start for me. I really think that working harder on my affiliate marketing skills and email list are going to make this happen.
- Create first product to sell ~ A great way to make more money from a blog is creating your own product, this is going to be a huge undertaking for me at the end of the year. But I plan on making a 2019 budget binder printable that I’m going to make available on Etsy! The price won’t be very high, definitely less than $10 but I think it’ll really motivate me to work harder and advertise my blog even more to see how many sales I can make!
SOCIAL MEDIA GOALS
For most people with “normal” jobs, I doubt they’d have social media goals for the year haha. But to be honest, building my social media accounts is super important to growing the blog. I know that the more effort I put into my socials and creating a social media strategy is going to directly impact how much traffic I can drive to the blog. I’d also like for my social media accounts to be more of a “brand” as opposed to how it is now where it’s just random and there is literally 0 cohesion.
- Reach 2,000 followers on Instagram ~ Instagram is tied for favourite social media platform for me with Twitter. It’s so beautiful and I love getting a small glimpse into what people think is important in their life. I really would love to be able to reach this follow mark without using sketchy #follow4follow tactics and being spammy. I’m going to focus myself on using smart hashtags and posting beautiful photos!
- Post 150 times on Instagram ~ consistency is key kids! In 2017, I think I posted on Instagram 5 times. Maybe not even that. I want to start focusing on posting cute photos waaaaay more often and really trying to get in the habit!
- Get the blog’s Facebook page to 2,000 likes ~ I’m really starting to see the value in a Facebook page for the website and how it can help to bring traffic to my site. Adding some new Facebook followers is really going to help me reach my blog goals.
- Post 3 times/week on the Facebook page ~ This is another thing about consistency! I want to start to build a community on the Facebook page that is going to be loyal and wonderful followers of the blog! As well as a great place to share with my friends and family the things I’m working on! Sharing 3 times a week is going to show the people who throw me a like that I’m super committed to sharing great quality content with them.
- Get 5,000 Pinterest followers ~ The thing about Pinterest is that follower numbers no longer matter in actually getting you traffic. However, the follower number on your profile is a great way to gain credibility in the eyes of people who land on your page. I want people to see me as a valuable member of finance blogger community!
- Launch (or relaunch) YouTube channel ~ 3 years ago I started a youtube channel, posted relatively consistently for about 3 months, then I stopped because life happened and school got crazy. I have around 40 subscribers (woot!) and 2018 is the year of the relaunched channel for me. I’ll be filming my first video the day this post goes up. Not sure what I’m going to talk about yet but I can do it.
- Post 52 videos this year on the Youtube channel ~ Can anybody sense a pattern here? I need to work on my consistency haha. I’ve decided to commit myself to one video a week for the year. The topics are going to range from money stuff, to business stuff, to life stuff, whatever floats my boat.
- Spend 1 month working in New York ~ New York is one of my favourite cities to go to, it’s just so magical feeling and wonderful. My boyfriend and I are DEFINITELY going to New York at the end of the year, sometime in November or December but what we really want is to have made enough money to be able to stay for a month. It won’t be a total “vacation” because I still plan to be working while we’re there. But a change of scenery will be good after the year we have ahead of us!
- Spend more time with my friends ~ For the last few months, I’ve felt a little disconnected from my group of friends. I graduated in April, and all of them are still in school. We used to meet on campus and hang out there but now that I’m not on campus, it’s a lot harder to see them. I want to make more of a conscious effort to make plans with my people and maybe even plan a little girls trip this summer!
- Have more cute dates with my boyfriend ~ The word DATES is right across a section of my 2018 vision board. Going on date nights with my boyfriend is always hella special and it makes me so incredibly happy. He’s a huge part of my life and just having that time together makes me smile.
- Read 24 books this year ~ Reading is one of the first things I throw aside when I get stressed or busy. Since I took a vacation from life in December, I read 4 books in a month. It felt amazing and wonderful and I want to be reading at least two a month for the rest of my life.
What are your goals for the year? Let me know down there in the comments, I’d love to hear them!